When you travel, sometimes you have to take the train. But there are so many offers available nowadays that it can be very difficult to find the best one for your needs.
And it’s not just about getting from point A to point B; if you’re travelling with a large group of friends or family, or if you’re going on a long journey and need to save money, there are many different things to consider.
To help you avoid overspending, we’ve put together a few tips and tricks for booking cheap train tickets online. Check them out below!
After a bit of searching, you may find the cheapest train tickets for your journey. Now you have to book them! I’ve been booking train tickets online for a couple of years now and I think I have picked up a few tricks along the way to help you get the best prices.
Book in Advance
The cheapest prices are usually available for advance tickets, which can be purchased up to 12 weeks before departure. The exact time these go on sale does vary, but it is usually around 12 weeks. You can check when advance tickets are available on National Rail’s Journey Planner tool by entering your journey and hitting “Find Times & Fares.” The website will then tell you when advance tickets become available. This is important if you want to save money; don’t buy a regular ticket when an advance one will do!
Ticket splitting is one of my favorite tricks to save money on train tickets. It’s something that many people don’t know about, but it can save you a lot of money! The idea is simple: instead of buying one ticket from A-B, buy several tickets from A-B-C-D… etc along the route instead. As long as there’s no need to change trains, this can work out cheaper
Now you can book your train tickets online using mobile or desktop using IRCTC website. Buying train tickets online is not a new feature but when it comes to Indian Railways, there are a number of issues that passengers face while booking the tickets. IRCTC website is still full of bugs and needs to be fixed as train ticket booking process is still not smooth in India. When it comes to booking tickets via app, there are many apps available but none of them have been developed by IRCTC so it’s always better to stick with the official app.
The best thing about buying train tickets online is that you don’t have to stand in long queues at the railway station and waste time which could be used for some other productive work. There are lots of benefits of booking tickets online and here I will be sharing few tips and tricks for booking cheap train tickets online on official IRCTC website.
There are a number of things that one must keep in mind while booking their train tickets online on IRCTC website:
Book Train Tickets Online, Booking Train Tickets Online, Booking Train Tickets Online Tips, Booking Train Tickets Online Tricks, How to book train tickets online, How to book cheap train tickets online, How to book train tickets cheaply, How to book train tickets on irctc
When booking train tickets online, it is quite common to book your tickets a day before the actual travel date. This ensures that you have booked your ticket on time and can travel on the scheduled day of travel. It is also recommended by most of the passengers to book their tickets ahead of time.
However, there are few advantages as well as disadvantages in booking your train ticket in advance.
Advantages of Booking Train Tickets Online in Advance:
1. You can get confirmed reservation for your journey ensuring that you will reach your destination on time.
2. You can also secure cheap train tickets online if booked in advance.
3. You can also avail discounts if you have a valid ID proof or senior citizen card issued by the government.
4. You can save yourself from standing in long queues at the railway station waiting to get your ticket confirmed and make use of this time more effectively.
5. In case you are booking a child ticket for whom no ID proof is necessary, you can book their ticket separately without having to travel with them for their age verification.
Disadvantages of Booking Train Tickets Online in Advance:
1. If you wish to cancel your journey due to any emergency or unavoidable reason, you will not be able to
Booking your train tickets online is easiest when you book in advance. You can book your train tickets up to three months in advance, with the vast majority of rail operators. There are a few which will let you book even further in advance, but this is rare. You can often buy your advanced train tickets right up to 23:59 the day before travel.
Booking as far in advance as possible ensures that you’ll get the best prices, and also gives you some added flexibility. If you’re booking your advanced train ticket at the last minute, then you’ll likely be limited with choice (and possibly price).
You can check availability on thetrainline.com by entering your route, and seeing what trains are available on any given day – just choose a date from their calendar and hit ‘find trains’. If there are no trains available for booking, then these will be marked as ‘not yet on sale’ or ‘not available online’.
There are a number of websites that you can use to book train tickets. The standard method is to visit virgintrains.co.uk, thetrainline.com or nationalrail.co.uk and book with them directly.
We recommend using ticket splitting when booking online as it can save money!
1) Find the cheapest direct tickets for your journey using one of the sites above
2) If you cannot find a cheaper direct ticket then split your journey by looking up each leg individually and booking two separate tickets
3) If you want to travel non-stop on a busy route (such as London to Manchester) then do not use the Anytime or Off Peak fares as these are more expensive than if you were to simply get off at a station before your destination and get back on again! A great way around this problem is to buy an Advance Single ticket which has no restrictions like that but also does not allow any changes so make sure there are no delays expected on your day of travel!